Keeping Bright in the Darker Autumn Months
October 18, 2021
Ah, autumn - big jumpers, scented candles, and pumpkin spice lattes in the coffee shops.
We’re big fans of autumn here at Team AC, but it’s not all cosy nights in and pampering ourselves with a mug of hot chocolate. Sometimes, autumn brings challenges, too.
We think you and your skin deserve to feel your absolute best all year round - so we’ve put together a handy guide to staying bright in the darker months. Read on for our top tips!
Practise Good Sleep Hygiene
With the days getting shorter and the nights starting earlier, it’s easy to spend cosy evenings lounging in front of Netflix or endlessly scrolling on our phones. This isn’t always good for us, though, and can affect our quality of sleep - which in turn can affect everything from our physical to our mental wellbeing.
Instead, why not practice good sleep hygiene? This sounds complicated, but it’s very simple - it just means getting into good habits to improve your sleep.
- Set a regular bedtime. Setting a regular bedtime and time to get up in the morning (and sticking to them!) can really help.
- Change your routine gradually. If you’re often up late, though, don’t try to change your bedtime all at once - alter it gradually, as you’re much more likely to stick to it long term.
- Limit screen time. The Sleep Foundation recommends 30-60 minutes of screen-free time before bed. The blue light from screens like phones, tablets, and TVs can significantly impact our quality of sleep, as it may hinder the production of melatonin, a hormone which facilitates sleep.
- Limit caffeine and alcohol. A fancy coffee or a nice glass of wine might sound like the perfect way to end a busy day but they can actually impact our sleep - try to stay away from caffeine and alcohol in the evenings.
- Keep it dark. Light creeping into your bedroom can make it difficult to fall asleep - invest in blackout curtains, or use a nice sleep mask.
- Choose calming scents. Some aromas can help relax us and help us fall asleep quicker; try lavender, ylang ylang, bergamot, chamomile, or sandalwood.
Have Things To Look Forward To
Having something to look forward to in the morning can make those gloomy, cold autumn starts all the more bearable.
Whether you lay your clothes out over the radiator the night before or plan a warming, healthy breakfast to ease you into the day, try making a morning routine that means you don’t want to just snooze the alarm and stay under those covers!
Switch Up Your Skincare
Colder weather means new challenges for our skin, especially as we grow older. Our in-house dermatologist, Dr Thurein Ne Win, recommends switching up your skincare routine to give your skin the best chance of staying supple, nourished, and glowing.
- In the colder months, your skin may dry out more. You can combat this by investing in a thicker, cream or ointment-based moisturiser to keep skin deeply hydrated for longer.
- Consider switching up your cleanser for autumn and winter, too. Use a hydrating, non soap-based cleanser and avoid foaming cleansers. Toners and astringents often contain alcohol, which can further dry your skin, so you can skip this step of your skincare routine in the colder months.
- Drinking enough water is also important - you may not feel like you need to drink as much water as in summer, but your skin will thank you, as hydration is important all year round.
- Our lips can suffer, too. Combat dry, chapped lips with a good quality lip balm, and look out for moisturising ingredients like jojoba, coconut, or calendula oil.
- Plus… don’t forget the SPF! It may seem unnecessary, but SPF protects from both UVA and UVB rays, and UVA rays are present all year round, and cannot be filtered out by clouds or windows.
These are just some of Dr Ne Win’s top tips, but don’t forget, as an Absoluter, you’ll get exclusive 1:1 access to Dr Ne Win to ask him your specific skincare questions.
Don’t Forget Your Absolute Collagen
A daily dose of Absolute Collagen is a great way to support your skin through the autumn and winter months.
It contains 8000mg of premium hydrolysed collagen enriched with Vitamin C, and we’re proud to have thousands of happy Absoluters like Vickie who trust Absolute Collagen to keep their skin feeling its absolute best!
Hydrate Your Skin With Maxerum
Plus, don’t forget Maxerum!
Clinically proven to boost skin firmness by 28% and reduce wrinkles by 18% in just 28 days, Maxerum is our award-winning collagen booster serum.
Maxerum contains four powerhouse ingredients for your skin, including hyaluronic acid for powerful hydration that soaks into the skin without any oily residue - great for keeping skin glowy and well moisturised during those cold, windy days! Check out what Absoluters Leigh and Emma are saying about Maxerum.
Ready to feel your absolute best this autumn and beyond? Become an Absoluter and start your journey today!